Subbie Year Track




            Throwback to subbie year. A simple selfie after a track meet holds so many memories of pain, excitement, and relief.
          
            It was our conference meet at PBL (Paxton-Buckley-Loda) the whole team dressed in the old but still bright orange uniforms. The 4 by 4 was happening. Arguably the most exciting event of a track meet. One, it’s the last event. Everyone crowding around the outside of the track cheering on their relay. Two, the 400 is fast enough were there is always something happening. HUGE comebacks can happen in a 400 and your position can change in an instant.
            
          Our 4 by 4 team was Olivia, Danbi, Allie, and I. Danbi was our main distance runner, running the 1600, 800, and finishing it off with the 4 by 4. Allie was the sprinter of the group running 200, 100, and once again ending with the 4 by 4. Olivia ran the 200 as well. I was a mid-distance runner rounding it out with the 400, 800, and long jump.
           
          Our team was good. We had a wide range of runners who communicated well from the cross-country season prior to track. Needless to say, we were ready to win this meet but still super stressed. With how events are lined up in track Danbi and I were going into the 4 by 4 after just running an 800 and on top of that it was raining. Danbi would always anchor the 4 by 4 to give her enough time to rest from the 800. Since the 800 wasn’t my main event I took it slower so I could start the 4 by 4. Olivia and Allie ran the 2nd and 3rd legs.
           
        If you don’t know much about relays the order of runners can make or break the event. My job as 1st leg was to secure the lead. I was nervous but the rain was oddly calming. Olivia and Allies job was to maintain the lead if it was obtained and put distance between us and the other teams. Danbi’s job was to bring it home. Catch any team in front of us and lead us to victory.
            
        The start came very soon after the 800. I was a little out of breath, but mainly nervous. I had to get us the lead. I remember feeling anxious. I was leading the first 300 meters, but I knew the last 100 was my weakest moment. I remembered the words my coach told me before the race “break past the wall”, and I did. Handing off the baton was surreal, I stood in my lane out of breath seeing the massive lead we had. Allie and Olivia both kept the lead on their leg and Danbi finished it off.
           
         The picture was taken at Kenney after our long and soggy bus ride. I look back and remember how my team and I made a somewhat bad experience something amazing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harvest Celebration

Welcome to Illinois

"Kevin"? Yeah, that's his name I just gave him.