Welcome to Illinois


            Most people who grow up in Central Illinois have one word to describe it, boring. In my opinion this rings true.
           
            Driving through Illinois feels like an eternity because it’s flat. My family and I make a trip to Georgia every summer and driving through Illinois is the longest part. It’s to a point where a goal is to get out of Illinois before we stop. Which is four hours. In addition to the flatness of Illinois, construction also makes a trip a lot longer. The state of Illinois while in debt still funds construction projects. That appear to make no improvements on anything and never get done on time.

The second thing that confuses me about Illinois is that we are the pumpkin capital of the world. Where are the pumpkins? I see miles and miles of corn and soy beans but not a single pumpkin patch. If I want to find a pumpkin patch it is a deliberate action, for example, going to Negangard’s Pumpkin Patch to look for pumpkins to carve. If anything, we should be the corn capital.
           
            If anything, I think living in Champaign-Urbana has exiled us from the true “Central Illinois Experience”. I’ve met people from the small farming towns who have a much more agriculturally based town. Most grow up on farms and participate in 4-H or FFA. They also have ag (agricultural) classes. All of these characteristics are not seen in Champaign-Urbana High schools but are common in most Central Illinois ones. This is the typical stereotype of Central Illinoisans the common farmer. In many ways most towns are these small farming towns but it’s important to note that some have a lot less of an agriculturally based community.
            
            Although Central Illinois is plain something continues to call people back to it. I know many people who grew up here left and returned. Most dream to leave Illinois and I know I want to, but you’ll never know. Maybe in the future Central Illinois will call you back.

Comments

  1. I can't wait for 20 years from now when we all suddenly realize that we miss Illinois after leaving it as soon as we get out of high school. I hope you can find a satisfying state to live in that is more interesting that our topographical map. And by the way, I'm going to start referring to Illinois as the "corn capital".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live in Iowa, and there I'd say I got more of a Midwestern experience than I am here. There, my dad's friend lived on a farm and we'd visit them often. I even drove a tractor once. Here, there's corn everywhere, but I don't live near it. Every time I go to Chicago or on a road trip, though, there's sooo many fields next to the roads, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have cousins in Georgia and driving to Georgia is fun just because the landscape is so different. Like the farther south I go there are my trees and bushes and then once I get to the Appalachian Moutains my ears start to pop. The Midwestern vibe isn't the best to be honest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Harvest Celebration

"Kevin"? Yeah, that's his name I just gave him.